University saves green by going green

By MEGAN GEYER

DeKALB | NIU will be saving $1.9 million per year due to continuing “green” changes on campus.

Sink faucets, shower heads, toilets and laundry systems were changed to conserve energy and save money.

“Over ten years, instead of taking money out of the residents’ pockets, out of the students’ pockets, the money that is saved just by switching over to these energy efficient systems goes back into paying for all of the renovations that we’ve used,” said Ileia Luke, assistant director for marketing and public relations of Housing and Dining.

The new sink faucets and shower heads use an aeration mechanism that reduces steam output and saves energy, Luke said.

New sink faucets eliminate water waste.

“Instead of sinks being left on, [the new valves] turn on and off only as they’re being used,” Luke said. The introduction of toilets with automatic flush from Energy Systems Group saves water and increases sanitary conditions.

Building Services worker Iris Norris said the new systems can present problems such as overflushing.

“The toilets flush all the time. Sometimes the faucets don’t always work,” Norris said.

Despite these issues, sophomore music major Jeremy Caesar remained upbeat.

“I think [the changes] were a positive addition.”

The laundry systems were switched to new washers and dryers by ASI Campus Laundry Solutions. Front loading washing machines use five gallons less water than typical washers, said

Joshua Johnson, assistant director for marketing and public relations of Housing and Dining.

Housing and Dining is also trying to reduce their paper usage by utilizing Web sites to present information. In the past, a 40 page glossy brochure, The Guidepost, was printed with Housing and Dining facts for students. This year they took a different route.

“Instead of printing 7,000 brochures, we printed business cards that have the contents on there and the Web address where they can find it,” Johnson said. Printed Guidepost brochures are still available per request.

These changes are part of an energy plan through Energy Systems Group.