Study Abroad fair to give glimpse of learning in another country

By NICOLE SOSZYNSKI

Students can discover new cultures and learn about studying in other countries today at the Study Abroad Fair.

The 16th annual fair will be held from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. in the Duke Ellington Ballroom of the Holmes Student Center. The fair is free to attend.

Emily Gorlewski, outreach and programming coordinator for the Study Abroad Office, said students can meet with all of the representatives of the study abroad programs. About 75 countries will be represented at the fair.

“The fair is a really good place to learn all about what the study abroad program has available since it is a worthwhile experience for any major,” Gorlewski said.

Gorlewski said NIU faculty are directing programs in countries such as China, Malaysia, Ireland, England, Italy, Poland, Russia, Costa Rica, Ghana, Spain and Switzerland.

She said the financial aid office will be at the fair to offer information on financial support for the programs. NIU career services will also be in attendance to tell students how they can use their experiences from studying abroad toward a future career.

Students attending the event will receive goody bags and participants can enter in several raffles, Gorlewski said.

The prizes for the raffles are donations from local businesses.

Students that have heard about the fair think it’s a good way to gain experience and learn about a new culture.

Matt Stark, junior nutrition and dietetics major, said he is looking forward to the fair, which he thinks will be informative.

“I would go and look around to see what they have to offer,” Stark said. “I would like to learn new cultures from other countries and see how they work.”

Sarah Pearson, senior corporate communications major, said studying abroad could bring life-changing experiences. She hopes the fair inspires students to consider the program more seriously.

“I hope they come away from the fair being excited since it is a real possibility for them,” Gorlewski said. “I hope the students come away thinking that they want to study abroad.”