Students urged to Adopt-A-Kettle

By Jennifer McCabe

It’s that time of year again, when a different incarnation of Santa Claus is on every corner, collecting money for the Salvation Army to help the less fortunate.

The familiar Salvation Army kettles have been raising money for many years and last year were responsible for serving over 62 million meals and housing over six million people including single mothers, children and senior citizens in the Thanksgiving and Christmas season.

The NIU Student Volunteer Corps (SVC) is helping the DeKalb Salvation Army with their “Adopt-A-Kettle” campaign. Zivka Petrevska, the SVC coordinator said they are encouraging different organizations to sign up and volunteer their time.

“This is a good way to volunteer their time and raise money for people who need it the most,” she said.

When the organizations adopt a kettle, they get a location and shifts when they are the bell-ringers. There are 12 locations in the DeKalb and Sycamore area including Farm and Fleet, Eagle, Jewel, J.C. Penney, Wal-Mart, K-Mart, Pick-n-Save, Paulson of Sycamore, Henderson of Sycamore and Brown’s Supermarket.

There also will be kettles in Neptune and Douglas halls during the dinner hours. The organizations will be able to volunteer from Nov. 29 through Dec. 4.

Last year, the DeKalb Salvation Army raised $104,000 and is trying to raise $105,000 this year.

The money raised will give 500 registered families food and toys for Christmas. If there is any money left over, it will go towards medicine and rent for the families, Petrevska said.

There also will be a plaque given to the organization who raises the most money. They also will receive a “golden kettle” traveling trophy which will be in their possession until the next year’s winners.

The Adopt-a-Kettle campaign is in its first year and the Salvation Army hopes to continue it in the future.

“We have received a lot of response from the community. This is a very good way for the students to get involved with the community in a positive way,” Petrevska said.

For more information, call the University Programming and Activities office at 753-1421 or go to the office on the sixth floor of the Holmes Student Center.