Almost 50 candidates in the running for SA senators

By JAMES TSCHIRHART

The dates of the Student Association elections for student senators are drawing near as candidates begin to campaign.

Elections are Sept. 23 and 24; those who are part of the election process this year are hopeful for a good turnout.

“I’m hoping there’s going to be a strong voter turnout,” said Election Commissioner Rebecca Gerstner. “We’re going to be out there with posters and flyers and big banners stating that this is the place to vote and with the widespread candidate run, it should be a good race.”

Representing five districts, with eight senators per district, a high turnout of 48 candidates will be listed on the ballot. It is the first time in over a decade that a full slate of candidates are running in districts 1 and 2.

“We’ve seen many more running in the freshmen districts, which are districts 1 and 2, and I think it’s a great development,” said SA President Brent Keller. “It’s a very positive development; it’s a sign we’re starting to get freshmen more involved in the process.”

Some of the hot button issues being addressed this year include student fees, student services and a new campus capital improvement fee.

While candidates in some districts will be vying for a senate seat, those in districts 1 and 5 will win by default since they fall under or just make the eight-seat quota for their district.

A problem in the past years for SA elections has been low voter turnout.

“I think a big problem in the past with low voter turnout was the fact that we just accepted voter turnout was low and we never really studied why it was low,” Keller said.

However, the SA is increasing its advertising and promotion for the election this year to raise voting numbers.

“I think it will go well,” Keller said. “We’re busting our butts to make sure students get out and vote and I think that assuming that that happens, more students will have the opportunity to have their voice heard.”