Field House offers alternatives to lines at the Rec

By MEGAN GEYER

You don’t have to wait in line to workout.

The Chick Evans Field House was rezoned as a workout facility after the Convocation Center was built in 2002.

The Field House is open from 5 – 10 p.m. Monday through Thursday, which coincides with the busiest hours at the Campus Recreation Center. Yet, many students do not take advantage of the workout equipment at the Field House.

“I usually workout at the Rec. It’s closer to where I live and I’m more accustomed to it,” said Colin Conway, a sophomore exercise science major.

Phil Griffin, junior industrial engineering major, said that he goes to the Rec Center instead of the Field House.

“On a typical day, the Recreation Center averages about 2,500 people,” said Lindsay Andrews, Rec Center office support associate. In comparison, the Field House averages about 150 people per day.

The Field House has two basketball/volleyball courts, two boarded indoor soccer/hockey courts and a three-lane walking/jogging track.

“As far as offerings go, [the Field House] pretty much parallels [the Recreation Center] … but the Field House allows greater flexibility,” said Dave Lochbaum, associate director of Facility Operations. “Last spring, intramural sports did their volleyball and their soccer and their floor hockey. Whereas in the past, before the Field House went online for us, they would have been using two to three courts over here which then gave us less courts for the general population.”

The Field House also has a cardio room with five treadmills, five recumbent bikes, two stair climbers, nine elliptical trainers, two stretch trainers and a 12-station cable crossover machine.

“The Field House helps with the overflow for cardio,” Andrews said.

Lochbaum agreed, “When we’re busting at the seams [at the Rec Center], the Field House gives people another option to go to another area.”

ROTC uses the Field House to practice and workout.

“We use the facility, and it’s a convenient location on campus,” said Norman Cosby, assistant professor of military science. “Personally, this place is not as crowded [as the Rec]. You can run around the track without interruption.”

Recreation Services membership includes access to both the Recreation Center and the Chick Evans Field House. Students paying recreation fees, which are included in their university fees, can enjoy both of the facilities with a valid NIU OneCard. Faculty, alumni and members of the community can purchase a membership either annually or by season.

“Overall, people are aware of the Recreation Center,” Lochbaum said. “They come [to the Rec Center] first and foremost because it’s the first thing you think about. During the day, this is where the professional staff are. This is where the program sign-ups would be. But I think those who have been [to the Field House] looking for less lines and less waits are the ones that continue to come back.”