Assistant VP of Student Affairs leaves NIU for to DeKalb Red Cross

By JOHN RANALLO

Michelle “Micki” Emmett arrived at NIU’s campus Sept. 1, 1981, and crossed Carroll Avenue with moving boxes in her arms.

Having graduated from Western Illinois University, she was in awe of the size of NIU’s campus and thought to herself, “Wow, look at all this traffic.”

After coming to NIU to accept a position and continue her doctoral studies, Emmett has held many other positions on campus throughout her career – most recently as assistant vice president for Student Affairs since 2004.

Now, 26 years after crossing Carroll Avenue for the first time, Emmett’s last day has come and gone. She will now serve as the Red Cross Executive Director of DeKalb County. In addition to overseeing day-to-day operations, Emmett will take with her a handful of difficult experiences, one of which is the Feb. 14 shootings.

“I was at the hospital that night,” Emmett said. “I’m still a bit haunted by the experience in the hospital that night.”

Emmett worked as a liaison at the hospital, assisting friends and families. She provided information to those waiting to hear from loved ones and arranged for campus ministry assistance at the hospital.

“What I take from that is knowing that NIU is family to me,” Emmett said. “The people in the DeKalb and Sycamore area have become like family.”

Prior to accepting the new position, Emmett re-evaluated her life to see if she could fit into the bigger picture of DeKalb, she said. She felt the position at the Red Cross would help her continue to serve the community. Emmett said she is grateful to those she worked with in helping her to prepare for the new position.

“I think I take with me a pretty full portfolio, thanks to the people I’ve worked with these last 26 1/2 years,” Emmett said. “I will be ensuring that DeKalb County will be prepared for emergencies.”

She added her position will allow her to teach prevention, as well as other beneficial programs such as CPR, first aid and fundraising in addition to preparing for emergencies.

Jill Zambito, director for commuter and non-traditional student services, said Emmett will be missed but she is excited for her to pursue the new opportunity.

“I have a very supportive boss; she’s the biggest cheerleader on campus,” Zambito said.