Northern Now magazine covers campus, community, alumni

By JOHN RANALLO

Northern Now is NIU’s quarterly magazine distributed by the Office of Publications, and is intended for alumni as well as the NIU community.

The magazine publishes about 175,000 copies in the Fall and Spring semesters, and in the summer and winter, it publishes nearly 65,000 copies. Virginia Seymour, editor of NIU Publications, said the magazine is a collaborative effort of many individuals on and off campus. Seymour said although the magazine is targeted mostly at alumni, the community plays an important part in the publication of Northern Now.

“We are very receptive to ideas from our NIU community,” Seymour said.

Issues typically include two to three features, as well as other campus and NIU news.

“It’s a good way to stay connected to Northern,” Seymour said. “I would hope students would want to be on the mailing list.”

Seymour said the magazine consists of features on alumni, as well as general interest stories. This year, Northern Now also helped cover the Feb. 14 shootings and aftermath in a memorial issue.

“We did a really tight turnaround; then again, it was something that needed to be done,” Seymour said.

Previous issues have included featured several NIU alumni: some on the television show “Dirty Jobs,” an MLB umpire and an employee at the Shedd Aquarium.

Jeff Strohm, the art director of the magazine, is responsible for magazine elements like layout, photography and prepping pictures for print. Strohm said he enjoys meeting alumni and finds the personal interaction the best part of the job.

“The personal touch is always the best part of the job,” Strohm said.

Strohm said Northern Now is releasing a summer issue in early June, but the magazine employees rarely get a break.

“Technically, the magazine is always in production,” Strohm said.

Strohm believes Northern Now serves a very important purpose for both the university and alumni.

“It’s just a voice for the university; students can benefit from it as well as alumni,” Strohm said.

The special Feb. 14 edition of Northern Now is available at some of the Northern Star newsstands across campus.