Alpha Phi Alpha hosts “Yardshow” in Commons Monday

By JESSICA SABBAH

Students walking to class Wednesday afternoon encountered music, dancing and culture right in the middle of campus.

Alpha Phi Alpha’s second annual “Yardshow” was held from noon to 3:30 p.m. in the King Memorial Campus and is part of Alpha Week.

Other National Pan-Hellenic Council (NPHC) members that attended the event in support of Alpha Phi Alpha’s event were Delta Sigma Theta, Kappa Alpha Psi, Sigma Gamma Khu and Zeta Phi Beta.

“Well the point of it is to show the campus what NPHC Greeks are all about,” said Charles Gardner, senior theatre major and president of Alpha Phi Alpha. “So today we had music, food, stepping, strolling, calling and everything else.”

Patrick Echols, senior marketing major and vice president of finance for the Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity Inc., said the Yardshow allows all of the NPHC to come out to show history and steps and strolls.

“I think it’s great with the weather being so good to come out and support and find out what the Divine 9 is all about,” Echols said.

Heather Roach, freshman special education major, said she came to the event after walking to class and stopping to watch and she couldn’t leave.

“I think that it’s amazing that they enjoy to come out here and do this,” Roach said. “They give me something to come out and watch.”

Others came in support of their fellow Greek organizations like freshman undecided major Paris Harbour and member of Kappa Alpha Psi.

“I’m glad to see that everyone came out,” Harbour said. “It’s good to see the other fraternities and sororities.”

Harbour also said that it was a good way to get his fraternities name out there after just recently bringing their chapter back.

The organizers thought the overall event was successful.

“It was a huge success, a lot of people came out, everyone’s having fun and I think a lot of people found out useful information,” Gardner said. “Alpha Phi Alpha looks forward to having more Greek unity programs in the future that brings out such support from the campus.”