Demonstration offers women self-defense

By Maria Tortorello

Women on campus can start to learn how to protect themselves and be on guard if walking around campus alone.

Approximately 30 students attended a self-defense demonstration held at the Recreation Center Wednesday night, to learn more about sexual assault situations.

The demonstration was given by Cathy Corl, senior instructor at Chimera Inc. in Chicago, which specializes in self-defense for women.

Corl explained to the students what to do in situations when followed or attacked.

She also described example situations of possible sexual assault, such as using emotional appeals to persuade victims into isolated areas.

Members of the audience were able to participate in demonstrations and were able to practice a few tips in self- defense. For example, if attacked from behind, Corl said one way the victim could fight back would be to kick and break the knee of the attacker. This would prevent the attacker from following the victim.

After the demonstration was over, several brochures and pamphlets about sexual assault and date rape were available to members of the audience.

Those who attended felt the demonstration was helpful in several ways.

“I think it (the demonstration) was really good,” said Marija Pavic, a freshman accounting major. “A lot of people don’t realize how many attacks are on campus because they’re not prepared.”

“It made us more aware of what we need to do if we are put in that kind of a situation,” said Kristina Kobbeman, freshman pre-business major.

Corl announced she will be teaching a 12_hour course for $40 from 9 a.m. to noon Oct. 30, Nov. 13, 20 and Dec. 4. at the First Congregational Church, 615 N. First Street, DeKalb.

The sessions will include lecture, role play and participation in physical techniques which are designed to be effective for women of all ages.

Proceeds from the program will go to the new DeKalb Women’s Center.

Corl has been involved in self-defense since 1972 and has been a senior instructor at Chimera since 1976.

She also has a black belt in Shuri-Ryu Karate.