Memorial Committee names members, asks for student input

By NICOLE SOSZYNSKI

The Feb. 14 Memorial Committee has chosen its members and is requesting student involvement.

The committee’s first meeting is Tuesday and will be open to anyone, so they can see how the process works, said Michael Malone, vice president for University Advancement and chairman of the NIU Memorial Committee.

The members include alumni, community members, faculty, staff and students, but other students and individuals are invited to voice their opinions through the Memorial Committee’s e-mail address.

Shari Cohen, junior psychology major, said she is encouraged by the participation of student members on the committee.

“It’s important for faculty to be involved, but it really hit the students hard,” she said. “It’s important for students and faculty to work together and help one another.”

In a Monday news release, President John Peters said he hopes the committee will help NIU heal.

“The committee will conduct a very open, inclusive and thoughtful review of alternatives. Ultimately, this group will aid the healing process on campus,” Peters said. “Above all, we need this memorial to respectfully recognize our loss and honor the enduring Huskie spirit of NIU.”

Malone said establishing the committee is the first step in the process of creating a physical memorial. According to the news release, the committee is responsible for four primary tasks, as established by President Peters.

“The committee will set the guidelines for what’s to come,” he said.

The committee will present its final report to Peters by May 30.

Malone said he hopes the location chosen for the memorial will provide great meaning to all students, staff, faculty, community members and family members who were affected.

“They should come back and feel honor and this will bring some peace,” he said.