Students borrowing more bikes through program

By JAMES TSCHIRHART

NIU’s “Borrow A Bike” program has grown larger over the last year since its creation last spring.

The program started with about a dozen bicycles but has now grown into a stock of about 50.

Organizations like Working Bikes Cooperative in Chicago and DeKalb’s own Central Cyclery have donated to the program. The bikes include various makes and models, both new and old.

Nate Nieman, a graduate law student and the graduate assistant in charge of the program, said the program was designed so students have alternative means of transportation on campus to free up parking spaces around class buildings.

“We’re trying to alleviate some of the congestion in the parking lots in the central locations around campus so students aren’t driving around for a half-hour looking for a place to park,” Nieman said.

Since the program’s creation, it has developed slowly since much of the program’s advertising relies on its users.

“A lot of it is through word-of-mouth because we don’t really do a whole lot of advertising,” Nieman said. “We don’t have a whole lot of extra money in our budget.”

Nevertheless, students have shown support for the program, and even checking out bicycles in the winter.

“I think it’s great,” said Jon Cubberley, a junior accountancy major. “I have to go to Barsema from Stevenson like every other day so it really cuts my traveling time down to have a bike.”

Students can find the program at the Parking Services building on Normal Road by the parking garage.

When checking out a bicycle from the program, students pay no fee and only must fill out a small waiver form. In exchange, the student can check out the bicycle for two weeks along with a helmet and lock.

In the coming months, when weather conditions improve for biking, Nieman also believes the program will improve.

“I think that definitely in the nicer months around campus it’ll certainly be popular and I think that come next fall we’re going to start to reach out to freshman in the dorms and other contingents of students that may not know about it,” Nieman said.