Rec Services offers free nutrition consultations

By NICOLE SOSZYNSKI

Student Recreation Services is offering nutrition advice.

Martha O’Gorman, a registered dietician and a licensed dietician nutritionist, helps students with a free one-hour consultation.

Students should fill out a client assessment questionnaire on the Campus Recreation Center’s Web site before coming to a meeting, O’Gorman said.

According to Recreation Services’ Web site, the questionnaire allows students to provide their health history, diet history and a three-day diet analysis intake form.

O’Gorman said the assessment questionnaire helps determine students’ specific goals and achievements.

“[We] make a session beneficial and interactive as we can,” she said. “We will see how well the assessment would match their needs, and identify barriers to make change.”

O’Gorman advises students to reach their basic goals and tailor nutrition to their schedule and to what they can do.

“We focus on the student population and try to help them with their schedules,” she said.

The nutrition office and the personal training program works together to provide a healthy lifestyle for students.

O’Gorman said the office is trying to promote healthy nutrition to the program, and she said a healthy student has to exercise and eat well.

Family consumer nutrition sciences graduate students and interns consult clients when O’Gorman is not there.

The nutrition office also gives lectures and cooking demonstrations about nutrition at resident halls, sorority houses and around campus.

Kimberly Lanier, a freshman business and administration major, said it would be beneficial for students to attend a session with the office.

“I would [love to] learn what food is healthy and what is not,” she said. “I think it would be beneficial. Even though students exercise, they also have to eat healthy food to maintain good health.”