Huskies for Hokies vigil scheduled

By JESSICA SABBAH

The Huskies for Hokies Candlelight Vigil is planned for the upcoming anniversary of the Virginia Tech shootings on April 16.

One year after the shootings at Virginia Tech, students at NIU feel that a vigil will show support for the Hokies.

“There was a bunch of students across campus that had expressed interest in having a vigil in support,” said Kelly Wesener, director of Housing and Dining.

After seeing Virginia Tech’s response to NIU’s Feb. 14 shootings, senior communications major Brittany Brzezinski wanted to do something in support of Virginia Tech students. Brzezinski is one of the students helping to plan the event.

Candles will be provided at the vigil and the first 900 students will receive T-shirts.

“The candles that will be lit up will represent the victims of the Virginia Tech students and the lives that were taken April 16, 2007,” Brzezinski said. “The lights need to focus on the Virginia Tech students.”

Wesener agreed on the importance of focusing on the Virginia Tech students and their loss for the vigil.

“The reality is that this is not about us; this is about us supporting an institution, an institution that we have a very important common bond [with],” Wesener said. “If, in that process it helps our healing, that is a gift. But in this moment it will be about Virginia Tech and their loss.”

Both Brzezinski and Wesener encouraged attendance for the vigil.

“We hope that students are moved to participate in this event and we also hope that this is an opportunity to come together once more,” Wesener said. “This is a real opportunity for our institution to begin establishing our new normal and hopefully that involves community and coming together and not just this time but as a consistent part of our future.”