NIU glassblower killed in motorcycle accident

By MICHAEL VAN DER HARST

NIU glassblower Daniel Edwards died in a motorcycle accident Wednesday morning near Rochelle, fellow members of the chemistry department confirmed on Wednesday.

Edwards, of Rochelle, was traveling with his wife when the accident occurred. His wife is currently in a Rockford hospital receiving treatment, said Jon Carnahan, professor and chair of the chemistry and biochemistry department.

“We are very saddened and shocked by the news of Dan’s death this morning,” said Shannon Gates, coordinator for recruitment and public relations of the department of chemistry & biochemistry. “He was a great asset to our department, as a talented glassblower and good friend.”

Edwards was planning on retiring at the end of this semester. He is best known across campus for hosting a glassblowing demonstration each fall and has been a member of the NIU community since 1991.

“We were slowly preparing ourselves to miss him due to his upcoming retirement,” Gates said. “But we were not prepared for anything like this.”

Carnahan expressed similar feelings.

“He’s been friendly, his glassblowing skills are just incredible and he went above and beyond the call,” Carnahan said of Edwards.

Edwards was the 1999 recipient of the Helmut E. Drechsel Achievement Award, given out by the American Glassblowers Society.

“[He had] tremendous dedication to the department and to the students,” Carnahan said. “He will be missed.”