Virginia Tech students to visit NIU campus

By NICOLE SOSZYNSKI

Fourteen Virginia Tech students will be at NIU today to talk and listen to members of the NIU community.

Jamie De La Ree, assistant department head of the electrical computer engineering department at Virgina Tech University, contacted Tricia Fisher of the electrical engineering staff in efforts to have the students come to NIU.

The students range from freshmen to seniors, with majors such as electrical engineering, mechanical engineering, English, business and liberal arts and sciences represented.

The students are bringing two banners to present to the NIU electrical computer engineering department and the Catholic Campus Ministry.

Fisher said the students will be there to talk about recent events, college education and anything else students, staff and members of the community want to discuss.

Paul Masur, senior electrical engineering major from Virginia Tech, said they will come mainly for support.

“We can talk to different students and staff and share some time together and share a big hug,” Masur said. “We’re there for you guys because we know where you are at, and it is nice to have someone to talk to.”

Some of the students are making the trip on their spring break, Fisher said.

“They wanted to stop at NIU,” she said.

The students will be around campus later in the evening with the Catholic Campus Ministry.

Fisher hopes students and staff take time to thank them for coming and learn something from the talk.

“I hope the audience learns that it’s important to share and give back to others,” she said.