Students calmer, appreciative of counselors in classes

By NICOLE SOSZYNSKI

With around 500 counselors on campus, many students were calm when returning to class Monday and Tuesday. Many felt comfortable knowing counselors were there if students felt the need to talk.

“They were helpful because they know our questions, and they were there in case we needed them,” said Aaron Rusthoven, a sophomore undecided business major.

Roy Reid, junior industrial technology electronics major, said he felt calm knowing counselors were present in the room.

“I did feel comfortable, [though] I didn’t have a problem,” Reid said. “But they were there for people who needed them.”

Reid said the counselor in his English class reiterated a common theme to students.

“They were saying and repeating what they said at the memorial service,” Reid said. “They elaborated, but it wasn’t a speech.”

Reid said he has talked to the counselors when needed.

“I had conversations with them just to say hi, and just to see if they were able to talk,” Reid said.

Niki Del Rosario, a junior public health major, was proud counselors were there.

“It’s a great honor to think that people all over the world and the states were thinking of us,” she said. “It was comforting.”

“There was an outpouring of support in Illinois and beyond,” said Brandi Hephner LaBanc, assistant vice president for Planning and Operations in the Division of Student Affairs. “The primary goal was to get information out to students about the counseling center on campus.”

The counseling center is available for students to reach out and connect if they need too, Hephner LaBanc said.