Geology 104 to meet today

By MICHAEL VAN DER HARST

Geology 104 – Intro to Ocean Science will resume class today with a special meeting at which counselors will be on hand to discuss options for the remainder of the semester.

Students were asked to check Blackboard for the location of Tuesday’s class. Senior journalism major Desiree Smith said she received e-mails throughout the week with information on today’s class as well as different options if students do not want to finish the class.

Returning to classes in general has caught Smith in an emotional roller coaster.

“I couldn’t relax whatsoever,” Smith said about returning to one of her Monday classes in DuSable Hall. “I’m expecting [the ocean science class] to be harder, but I’m kind of looking forward to going because the people in the class are all going through what I’m going through.”

She ended up walking out of her class Monday.

“I didn’t feel right,” she said. “I thought my teacher was going to talk more about [the incident], but he went right into lecture.”

Smith mentioned that someone in the class created a Facebook group specifically for the people who will be returning to the class today.

Many students expressed the desire to have the instructor return to teach the class.

“I really want to see our professor and want him to continue teaching,” said Sam Brunell, freshman broadcast journalism major and Northern Star staff writer. “I will feel a lot better when I see some of my classmates and my professor.”

Geoff Alberti, a sophomore accountancy major, isn’t more concerned about going back to this class than any other class.

“I’ll be happy to talk and I’m looking forward to being with [my classmates],” he said.

A rainy return

A cold and rainy day greeted students on Monday with an increased police presence and numerous counselors available throughout the day.

Jim Gilbert, sophomore political science major, found Monday to be relatively normal.

“It seemed like a regular class day, but with police in the buildings and counselors in the classrooms,” he said.

Sal Maniaci, a junior marketing major, spent a lot of time watching the news about the shooting and found himself overwhelmed by it.

“Normalcy is something I’m definitely looking for,” he said.

Having counselors in every classroom is something Gilbert felt was a good idea.

“I think it is a great thing to have for people who need them and making them easily available,” he said.

The counselors will remain on campus throughout this week. A “Peace Room” was set up in Holmes Student Center, Room 231, for any student wanting a quiet place to reflect and relax. It will be open from 8 a.m. to 10 p.m. until Friday.

Staff Writer John Bachmann contributed to this story.