Cheap Trick, Jimmy Eat World added to Convo schedule for spring

By MICHAEL VAN DER HARST

To help NIU and DeKalb community members carry on, the Convocation Center announced two shows that fans of rock bands both old and new can attend

CHEAP TRICK / JOAN JETT – SATURDAY, MARCH 29

Joan Jett will open for Cheap Trick, headlining.

Tickets go on sale Friday, Feb. 29. for $34.50 for NIU students and $39.50 for the general public.

Originally from Rockford, Cheap Trick has had a long career with hits like “Surrender” and “I Want You to Want Me.” Along with Joan Jett’s biggest hit, “I Love Rock ‘n’ Roll,” the two bands have been covered numerous times over the years.

Joan Jett last played in DeKalb as the headliner of Cornfest 2004.

JIMMY EAT WORLD / PARAMORE – SATURDAY, APRIL 19

Jimmy Eat World and Paramore will share the spotlight.

Tickets go on sale Saturday, March 1 at 3 p.m., according to the Convo’s Web site. Prices range from $33.50 for upper bowl seats and $36.50 for the lower bowl and general admission floor.

NIU Students can get a $5 discount by showing a valid NIU OneCard (limit 2) at the NIU Convocation Center box office.

Jimmy Eat World is currently playing a sold-out tour in Europe in support of their sixth album, “Chase This Light.”

Paramore made their major label debut last year with an album called “Riot!”

Since then, they’ve been steadily gaining success in the mainstream industry with their high energy pop/punk shows.

MORE TO COME?

These two shows mark the second and third this semester, as Soulja Boy Tellem will be in DeKalb on Friday, March 21.

Soulja Boy will perform in the Convo’s intimate theater set (view their Web site’s “small theater” seating setup for a general idea).

Tickets have been on sale since Feb. 15. Prices range from $25 to $32 for students and $32 to $39 for the general public.

The Convo is in the process of confirming additional concerts for this semester, said Kevin Selover, assistant marketing director.