Freshman Ebony Ellis and company combined for 28 of NIU’s 83 points

By JON LEVANICH

When a team can’t completely rely on its starters, it’s nice having a bench to lean back on.

This was very apparent in the NIU women’s basketball team’s overtime victory against Kent State Wednesday night at the Convocation Center.

The Huskies’ bench combined for 28 points and 23 of the team’s 51 rebounds.

“It was a great team win,” NIU head coach Carol Owens said. “Any given night, someone gets hot or someone’s going to step up big.”

The big step up from the bench came largely from freshman center Ebony Ellis.

Ellis scored 16 points and had a career-high 16 rebounds, including eight offensive boards in 25 minutes of playing time.

“Ebony Ellis came out, 16 points and 16 rebounds,” Owens said. “What more can you ask for from a freshman?”

Ellis especially came up big for the Huskies down the stretch and in overtime. The freshman scored 10 of her 16 points and pulled down nine of the 16 rebounds during a back-and-forth final 25 minutes.

Owens knows that having a bench that can contribute on a daily basis with the starters is a huge factor.

“It’s great to have that option,” Owens said. “This is what we expect, this is who we are.”

While for the most part, Ellis stole the show from the bench, other Huskies contributed at the right times in the win.

NIU guard Tara Michels contributed three points and two rebounds. However, her major impact was on the defensive side of the court.

“Tara Michels also came off the bench and played some huge minutes for us toward the end,” Owens said.

Huskie forward Aileen Rossouw came off the bench and made her presence felt in the paint. The junior recorded two boards, but also drew fouls and went to the free throw line eight times, converting seven of those attempts for her seven points.

Freshman forward Mauvolyene Adams, also off the bench for eight minutes, scored two points and grabbed three boards.

“I like the balance,” Owens said. “Even the people who don’t score in double figures, eight and nine points, that’s good for us. There’s a balance in scoring.”

The combination of good scoring starters and a bench that will chip in every game helps make a great team. Having balance with everyone on the team adding in some way to a game brings everything together.

“Everyone has to come ready to play,” NIU guard Jessie Wilcox said. “If one person doesn’t come ready to play it’s like domino effect and it drains the whole team.”