Wright Athletic Club offers a clean facility, good employees

By JESSICA SABBAH

The Wright Athletic Club (WAC) has brought fitness and a sense of community to the DeKalb and Sycamore areas for the past 30 years.

WAC, 2686 DeKalb Ave., has existed since 1978 under a few different names, including at one time “The Nautalist Fitness Center,” making it the longest standing club in the county, said Ray Binkowski, owner of the WAC.

The club has had links with the NIU community since its creation. Many students used the WAC before the NIU Campus Recreation Center was built, and the club continues to serve NIU students.

Services and facilities, mainly staffed by NIU students and alumni, include tanning, personal training, Pilates, group exercise classes, group personal training, a licensed massage therapist on staff, spin classes, turbokick classes, kettle bells and more.

The club also has a STOTT Pilates Pro Reformer system and carries discounted supplements.

“If someone wants to get healthy and lose weight, we will provide them what they need to be successful in our 16-Week free Testimonial Success Plan,” Binkowski said. “In fact, I go so far as to guarantee it.”

Binkowski even lost some weight himself using the plan.

“There is so much information out there and people don’t know what they are doing,” Binkowski said. “We give them a plan, meetings with trainers and follow meetings with trainers to make sure they are safely and effectively exercising.”

Binkowski said the program addresses all of the common reasons people fail when they join a health club, including the number one reason that people don’t join health clubs, which is fear.

“I’m not just some business guy gym owner,” Binkowski said. “I’ve been there.”

Binkowski hosts “Get Fit and Live Healthy for Life” on WLBK-AM 1360 on Thursdays at 8:40 a.m.

“What we have are everyday people looking to improve their health and wellness and, while doing it, lose weight,” Binkowski said.

Cheryl Allan, a Sycamore resident, said she works out at WAC because the facility is very clean, has everything to offer that she would want and has people who are nice and friendly.

“I like this place because it’s more adult-oriented,” Allan said. “It’s become a really nice place to hang out.”

Kyle Pettengell, NIU alumnus and DeKalb resident, has been a member for the past two years and has many reasons for working out at WAC.

“The equipment here is very good,” Pettengell said. “Plus I know a lot of people who went here and thought it was very good.”

Scott Hibbing Sr., Kane County resident and member for three months, found out about WAC through his brother, who is a DeKalb resident and has been member for the last six or seven years.

Hibbing said he works out at the WAC because of the reasonable rates, good and respectful employees and the facility is open a good amount of hours to go work out.

“We are – regardless of what anyone says – we are the neighborhood club,” Binkowski said.