Alpha Kappa Alpha celebrates centennial with week of events

By JOHN RANALLO

Tuesday marks the 100-year anniversary of the founding of Alpha Kappa Alpha national sorority. NIU’s chapter, Delta Omicron, has planned a week of events to celebrate the sorority’s centennial.

AKA’s celebration week, titled “The Pink Print of Pearlfection: Setting the Standard for 100 Years,” will include a variety of activities such as community service events, workshops and recreational activities. The sorority has planned events for every day of the week.

Tuesday, Delta Omicron will hand out cake to celebrate the centennial, and later that evening students are welcome to attend an event at Pizza Pro’s.

Tiffany Smith, a senior early childhood studies major and president of the NIU chapter, feels the eventful week will be beneficial for students. Smith said the events are open to anyone and she wants students to feel welcome to attend.

“Especially with the scare before break, we want the NIU campus to view us as a welcoming organization,” Smith said.

According to the chapter’s Web site, AKA is the oldest Greek-lettered sorority established by African-American college women. Shannon Smith, a senior corporate communication major and vice president of the Delta Omicron Chapter, said the sorority serves an important national purpose.

“It encourages high scholastic and ethical standards of black women,” Smith said.

The Chicago Sun-Times reported that AKA has inducted more than 200,000 women throughout the last 100 years. Mattel is planning to release a Barbie doll commemorating AKA’s centennial birthday.

Alpha Kappa Alpha has chapters in the U.S. as well as the Caribbean, Europe and Africa. The list of events planned for this week can be accessed on the Delta Omicron Web site.