NIU organization Invisible Children hosts benefit to aid school in Uganda

By NICOLE SOSZYNSKI

The NIU organization Invisible Children is hosting its first benefit concert for a school in Uganda.

The concert is taking place at Java 101, 901 Lucinda Ave., on Dec. 7, starting at 8 p.m., with a three-band lineup: Project SideProject, Nash Taylor Cash and Infrared.

Tickets are $7 at the door. The money raised from the tickets and merchandise is being collected for a program called Schools for Schools.

The NIU Invisible Children organization is raising money to rebuild Layibi Secondary School in Gulu, Uganda, said Agata Wilusz, junior elementary education major and member of Invisible Children.

Schools for Schools allows a school or university in the United States to be matched up with a sister school in Uganda to raise money for new buildings, supplies, teachers and indoor plumbing, said Nicole Arteaga, sophomore history major and president of Invisible Children.

Wilusz planned the concert and hopes that the music brings students together and brings awareness to the organization.

“Music is something that everyone has in common,” Wilusz said. “The students can try to change things in the world and to help other people in need.”

Arteaga hopes participants will gain awareness of the genocide in northern Uganda.

“I hope that people will become inspired to take action to help save the children of Uganda and end genocide,” Arteaga said. “I think it will be clear that people can raise money and really make a difference doing just about anything.”

The organization will provide Invisible Children merchandise such as tote bags, trucker hats and the Invisible Children documentaries for purchase during the event. Donations will be taken at the event.

“If we get a good turn out, we are actually hoping to have another benefit concert sometime next semester,” Arteaga said.