Tutoring available for finals preparation

By JOHN RANALLO

Many academic assistance programs are available to students that can help them prepare for finals.

The ACCESS program is made up of three other assistance programs designed to help students receive additional help in certain classes.

The branches consist of the Peer Assisted Learning (PAL) program, the A+ program and Supplemental Instruction (SI) program. Tutoring centers in Lincoln, Douglas and Grant Halls have walk-in hours during finals week.

Shevawn Eaton, director of ACCESS, said the tutoring centers can be very helpful to students who need immediate assistance.

“It’s a place where you can go to get quick help,” Eaton said.

The PAL program also allows students to schedule appointments with peer tutors, who set their own schedules.

“It’s really up to the tutor what they want to do,” Eaton said.

Eaton recommends students pursue study groups, effective time management and grade calculation before finals.

With finals quickly approaching, students may have problems scheduling one-on-one tutoring appointments.

Maureen Oxnevad, a secretary for PAL, said that many tutors have full schedules.

“Most of them are probably pretty booked up by now,” Oxnevad said, “It’s possible someone could get one on one tutoring right now.”

PAL employs about 70 tutors. If none are available, additional help is in reach, Oxnevad said, urging students to use the ACCESS all campus resource tutoring guide on its Web site for additional help sources.

The Supplemental Instruction program targets traditionally difficult general requirement classes. The program offers mock finals and consists of about 38 SI leaders, who are peer leaders that participate in classes and meet with students to assist in additional review sessions.

Kimberly Johnson, assistant director of ACCESS for supplemental instruction, feels students can benefit from additional instruction.

“It’s more of a peer teaching environment,” Johnson said.