Student creates horror film

By NICOLE SOSZYNSKI

An NIU student is in the process of finishing his first full-length film.

Jacob Miguel, a senior contract electronic music and news media studies major, has been working throughout the semester on a horror film for his senior independent study.

Miguel is the writer, director and the head cinematographer for the film, and he possesses previous experience in the film department. Miguel made short films and has been the co-director/cinematographer on two full length films, he said.

The horror film is estimated to run over an hour.

“At this point, some scenes are looking longer or shorter than estimated now that I have begun the rough cuts,” Miguel said.

With more than half the movie shot and the actors secure, Miguel has begun working on the rough cuts.

“I’m beginning to get an idea of how I am going to process the material I have,” Miguel said.

Miguel began writing the screenplay a few weeks into the semester and later began to cast the actors.

“I did not hold auditions,” he said. “I just took anyone who showed interest and typecast them to whichever character I thought would fit best.”

The script was then passed out at rehearsals and shooting began about a month ago, Miguel said.

“I shot all the outdoor scenes before it snowed, and I’m now focusing on securing buildings for the indoor shots I have not filmed yet,” Miguel said. “I hope to actually use a part of Altgeld Hall for one scene.”

Jeffrey Chown, a graduate director professor in the department of communication, said there seems to be more student films every year and hopes students continue to work on these.

“Make something you feel passionate about,” Chown said. “Even if you make mistakes in putting together something as complicated as a horror film, it makes you better on the next project.”