Minorities benefit from resume book

By Kevin Lyons

The Organization for Black Business Students is hoping NIU minority students will take the opportunity to help themselves by submitting their resumes for publication in an NIU resume book, which will be made available to about 500 companies.

Collin Halliman, Student Association minority relations adviser, said the resume book has been published for the last five years and in the past students were charged about $5 to publish their resumes.

This year publication is free to students, as costs are being offset by corporate sponsors working in conjunction with the university.

Minority students interested in having their resume included in the book must submit their resume to Halliman in the SA office on the second floor of the Holmes Student Center by Friday.

Halliman said response to the publication has been positive from both the student and professional communities. He noted minority students who choose to submit their resumes will be receiving an excellent opportunity to start the necessary networking process in order to obtain jobs and internships.

“This is a great resource next to the resources we already have on campus,” Halliman said.

Copies of the resume book will be sent to a variety of companies and corporations including hospitals and schools.

He said the book has usually contained about 50 resumes, but said he’s hoping to get about 150 for the benefit of the larger NIU minority community.

“This is an excellent opportunity for internships. We want younger students to get involved to get a jump on the job market,” Halliman said.

Halliman noted the other campus resources which are participating in the publication of the minority resume book including: Career Planning and Placement, Cooperative Education, the College of Business, Educational Services and Programs, Job Location and Development, The NIU Foundation, The National Pan-Hellenic Council and the SA Minority Relations Committee.