Difference in degrees cater to student strengths

By JOHN RANALLO

Students wondering which degree to pursue should play to their strong suits, faculty members suggest.

There are six different baccalaureate degrees offered at NIU. Among the six, there are the Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) and the Bachelor of Science, (B.S.). There are several differences between the two degrees in terms of what classes students are required to take.

Sue Doederlein, associate dean for the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences, said students should be aware of their strengths and weaknesses when deciding what degree is best for them.

“It’s just a matter of a student going with his or her strengths,” Doederlein said.

Doederlein said that students with strong verbal skills should consider the B.A., whereas students with strong math skills should consider the B.S.

“The B.A. demonstrates a competence in a language other than English, and the B.S. demonstrates a competence in math, statistics, science and computer science,” Doederlein said.

In some subjects, colleges will offer areas of study in both the B.A. and the B.S. Other areas of study will offer either degree exclusively.

Students have differing opinions as to what degree is easier to attain.

Jeremiah Healless, a junior family social services major, said he is pursuing a B.S., even after taking three languages in high school.

“I can’t do foreign language,” Healless said. “I tried. I can do math and sciences. I wish I had that foreign language background.”

Shannon Smith, a senior corporate communications major, thinks that the makeup of the B.A. is easier.

“I think it’s easier for me to take a foreign language,” Smith said.