Students should step up and volunteer at University Council

By NORTHERN STAR

Today’s attendance at University Council by Student Association representatives was markedly improved. Representation from academic colleges, however, still was too low.

About two weeks ago, the Northern Star wrote a three-part series examining students’ lack of attendance on the council.

The University Council is a relevant one to students, having the power to, among other things, establish academic policies, advise on policies regarding academic salaries and sabbatical leaves and to advise NIU administration on policies affecting the quality of student life on campus.

In short, the University Council makes a lot of decisions related to students’ academic well-being.

The series we ran disclosed an apparent delay in appointing members to the council.

Students are supposed to be represented on University Council by the president of the Student Association and 14 additional student members, according to the University Council Constitution.

Seven of the additional student representatives come from the SA, while each of the other seven come from a different degree-granting college, according to the constitution.

All members were supposed to have been appointed by Sept. 10.

The Student Advisory Councils for each degree-granting college are supposed to have a representative and a student associate, but only one of the Student Advisory Councils has a representative officially listed on University Council.

As of Oct. 10, Donna Mathesius, administrative assistant to University Council, said her records indicate that five of the seven SA representatives have been listed as representatives, and that the Student Advisory Committee for the College of Health and Human Sciences has a representative.

The Student Advisory Committees for Business, Law, Education, Engineering and Engineering Technology, Visual and Performing Arts and Liberal Arts and Sciences each do not have a student representative listed on UC records.

At Wednesday’s council meeting, seven of eight SA representatives were present, but only one college — the College of Law — and the Graduate School were represented.

We recognize that since the series has run, the academic colleges without representatives have been working to find students to appoint. However, this is where students must step up.

The University Council needs student representation so our voice can be heard when making important decisions that affect none other than students.

“The University Council is the main body on campus that sets policy,” said Faculty Senate President Paul Stoddard. “Many of the issues discussed involve student matters such as curriculum, housing and security and fee structures. Many times, a student viewpoint is needed so that faculty, staff and administration can truly appreciate the impact University Council’s decisions will have on students. It is the best opportunity for students to get their concerns voiced and to make sure NIU is a place they want to be.”

Students from the colleges without representatives who reside in that college for their major should step up and volunteer.

University Council usually meets from 3 to 5 p.m. every fourth Wednesday of the month.

It is in these two hours each month, however, when a couple students can make the difference between seeing rubber-stamp policies be put in place and having a say in their academic well-being.