Sorority hosts toy drive for local shelters

By NICOLE SOSZYNSKI

The Alpha Sigma Omega sorority is giving students the opportunity to donate gifts to underprivileged children.

This year marks the third annual ASO angel tree, located in the Campus Life Building, that helps collect gifts for local shelters, including Hope Haven, Safe Passage and the Children’s Home & Aid, said Monica Medina, a senior finance major and philanthropy chair for ASO.

Toys and clothes will be accepted through Dec. 3. The angel tree gives students the opportunity to donate to the child of their choice, Medina said.

The angel tree allows for students to give back to their community, she said.

“The holiday season is the time of joy and giving,” Medina said. “There are children in our local community who do not get the holiday season to the fullest because of the hardships their families might be experiencing.”

Anita Mui, a senior textiles, apparel and merchandising major and donor to the angel tree, hopes her gift will bring happiness to a child.

“I love kids, and it makes me sad to know there are going to be children out there who may not get any presents for the holidays,” Mui said. “If giving a present can make even one person smile, it’s enough for me.”

Michaela Herrera, a sophomore history major, is donating a gift to a child on the tree, but she said donations shouldn’t be confined to just the holiday season.

“There’s hungry and poor children all over the world all year-round,” Herrera said. “I think that there should be more donations throughout the year and not just wait for the holidays to give them presents.”