Jazz concerts to benefit Latino students in need

By Amy Ross

NIU students and faculty interested in jazz and looking for a reason to get out of DeKalb for a night may have found one.

Percussionist Tito Puente will team up with NIU’s Jazz Ensemble on Oct. 8 and 9 to perform benefit concerts in Aurora and Elgin.

Northern Illinois Gas is the major corporate sponsor of the concerts and the proceeds will benefit Latino students in need of financial assistance.

The proceeds will be divided among the NIU Tito Puente scholarship fund through the El Centro Pan Americano organization in Aurora and the El Nuevo Puerto Rican Civic Organization located in Elgin.

“For years I dreamed about Tito coming here to perform with the NIU Jazz Ensemble, but because he travels all over, I thought it was impossible,” said Jazz Ensemble Director Ron Modell.

“I figured I may be able to whet his appetite to do a couple of concerts by setting up the Tito Puente scholarship fund for Latino students who needed financial help,” he said.

NIU student Angel Rodriguez, a junior jazz study major, is the first student to receive this scholarship fund from the proceeds from Puente’s concerts last year. Rodriguez, who plays trumpet in the jazz band, faced financial difficulties and was going to drop out of school this year.

“The scholarship definitely kept me here in school at NIU,” Rodriguez said.

The Jazz Ensemble will be performing the first half of the concert and Puente will perform the second half. In addition, for the first time in eight years, the ensemble will be introducing a female vocalist, Cheryl Porter.

Modell said people should attend this concert not only because of the proceeds to benefit Latino students and Puente’s exceptional performance, but also because of the talent of the NIU Jazz Band.

Quoting the Chicago Tribune’s review of the ensemble, Modell said, “The NIU Jazz Ensemble is one of the best college bands in the country, (actually is one of the best big bands in America, period).”

The review was written by jazz critic columnist Howard Reich.

The first show will be at 8 p.m. Friday at the Paramount Arts Centre, 23 E. Galena Blvd., Aurora. The second and third will be at 2:30 p.m. and 8 p.m. Saturday at Elgin High School, 1200 Maroon Blvd., Elgin.

Tickets for both shows are available for $15 through Ticketmaster, at (312)902-1500, or for $20 at the door.