Students protest sexual assault and night-time violence

By YESENIA JUAREZ

“Take Back the Night,” hosted and sponsored by the Women’s Rights Alliance, took place Tuesday night.

The protest against sexual assault and night-time violence is an annual event held each October at NIU. The event began with a march starting at Welsh Park and ending at the East Lagoon.

Protesters proceeded down Annie Glidden Road and Lucinda Avenue holding signs and chanting. About 150 students, faculty and community members participated in the march.

“We had such a good turnout. There was more involvement with sororities and fraternities,” said organization leader Nicole Berns. “There was a good turnout this year and last year, so it’s definitely a growing event.”

Sophomore history major Nicole Arteaga had never participated in a women’s rights event before.

“It’s important because it’s a campus and we need to feel safe. If not, something is wrong.” Arteaga said.

Jacqueline Crosby, a sophomore nursing major, says she has never been a victim but feels women’s rights are not really acknowledged, and students need to bring more attention to it.

“I came to learn more about it,” Crosby said. “It’s never happened to me, but we need to hear what has happened to others.”

The Women’s Rights Alliance is an educational group that raises awareness about women’s issues. It also raises money and helps with assault and domestic violence statistics projects.

The event was cut short due to inclement weather.