Sorority promotes service

By Jennifer McCabe

Sigma Lambda Sigma is a sorority founded on serving the community and various charities in the country.

They do service work for DeKalb, including the NIU Student Volunteer Corps, Hope Haven, Big Brothers and Big Sisters, CAB films, Easter Seals Telethon, Family Service Agency-Disability Access Network and many others, said Regina Whitmore, the sorority’s first vice president.

The purpose of Sigma Lambda Sigma is to promote service, leadership and sisterhood, said member Zivka Petrevska.

The Starlight Foundation is the sorority’s newest philanthropy. This will be the second year they will be helping the foundation to make children’s dreams come true, Petrevska said.

Their upcoming fundraiser for the foundation, the Second Annual Study Break Auction is coming up in November, and it was very successful last year, Whitmore said. The sorority made it possible to send three children to Walt Disney World in Florida to make their dreams come true.

The sorority auctions off date packages to restaurants in DeKalb, which include a date for the evening. All of the dinners are donated by local restaurants and all of the proceeds go to the Starlight Foundation. Last year the sorority raised more than $4,000.

The sorority sends letters to all the organizations on campus asking for volunteer dates for the auction, and everyone is welcome to participate in the evening.

The members have increased tremendously in the past five years. Volunteerism is becoming more popular on campus since the school is making it easier for students to volunteer for projects and groups.

Sigma Lambda Sigma is a lot like any other sorority except they focus on service rather than the social aspect, Petrevska said. They have weekend retreats, spontaneous dances, formal and informal dances and mixers and socials with fraternities. They also are associate members with the Panhellenic board. They don’t have a house, but they currently are looking for one.

The sorority achieved active status in 1964 and was the first Sigma Lambda Sigma sorority in the country. The second is at Western Illinois University. Others were started, but ended for lack of members.

Sigma Lambda Sigma is trying to start other chapters at other universities.