SIU defensive breakdown

By BRANDON MANGIA

Defensive Line

The Salukis return only five starters on defense from a team that went 9-4 and made a trip to the quarterfinals of the playoffs a year ago.

Senior defensive tackle Andre Tillman comes with the most experience for SIU after starting all 13 games last year and being named to the Gateway

Conference All-Newcomer team. The Coffeyille Community College transfer is coming off a season in which he had 18 tackles and three sacks.

Defensive end James Cloud played in only six games last year but had three tackles last week in a 59-14 win last weekend against NAIA Quincy University.

There to help him solidify the line is senior tackle Larry Luster. Luster played in all 13 games for the Salukis last year and started six of them. Last weekend, Quincy was able to rush for 138 yards against the young and inexperienced line.

Linebackers

The Salukis are deep and talented at this position.

Out of the five returning starters, two of them are linebackers. Sophomore Brandin Jordan comes into this season after being named the Gateway

Conference Freshman of the year.

Last year, the middle linebacker had 107 tackles and 2.5 sacks, including a six-game streak in which he recorded at least 10 tackles. The lone senior of the group, outside linebacker Trevor Moe, had 86 tackles last year with 45 of them being solo.

Sophomore Chauncey Mixon was named to the Gateway Conference All-Newcomer Team last year after collecting 55 tackles and 4.5 sacks as a redshirt freshman. Mixon has the speed and burst to give NIU quarterback Dan Nicholson problems as a pass rusher. The Salukis have three impact players at this position and have a good combination of experience and youth.

Secondary

SIU has the athletes but lacks the experience at secondary.

Senior Craig Turner is the most exciting all-around player for Southern. He has played running back, fullback and most recently, moved to the cornerback position.

Along with being one of the best punt and kick returners in the Gateway, Turner recorded 58 tackles and had a team-high eight pass break-ups last year.

SIU took a blow at safety when junior Derrick Belton suffered a season-ending knee injury after playing in every game for the past two seasons.

Sophomore Marty Rodgers will have to fill in for Belton. Rodgers saw action in nine games last year and started one of them. Junior Clayton Johnson is at the free safety position and led the secondary with six tackles last week.

Clayton played in every game last year and had two interceptions. Sophomore Brandon Williams and senior Larry Taylor will be mixed in at cornerback.