Sororities open their doors to potential recruits

By ERIN WILSON

Jeanine Menolascino did not decide to go Greek until the second semester of her freshman year, and she regrets not going through fall recruitment.

“I was involved in community service and social events, but I wasn’t satisfied. I saw people in my dorm that were Greek and I felt like I was missing out; I knew I wanted to embrace those same bonds during my college years,” said Menolascino, a senior history major and vice-president of recruitment for CPC (College Panhellenic Council).

An orientation for women interested in sorority life will be held Wednesday and Thursday at 7 p.m. in the Duke Ellington Ballroom at the Holmes Student Center.

The orientation provides answers to questions about CPC’s fall recruitment.

Recruitment is held this weekend, starting Friday at 5:30 p.m. CPC members will discuss times and locations, benefits of ‘going Greek’ and financial issues, among other topics of interest.

“Women should expect recruitment to be an exciting few days that will give each woman an opportunity to meet many new people and make new acquaintances,” said Megan McNamee, graduate assistant for Greek Affairs.

Seven CPC chapters — Alpha Delta Pi, Alpha Phi, Alpha Sigma Alpha, Delta Gamma, Delta Zeta, Sigma Kappa and Sigma Sigma Sigma — will have members available to meet with interested students. Students will be given the opportunity to participate in philanthropy and tour each sorority house.

“Women who don’t think they are a sorority girl should know that our Greek community is so diverse that there is no type,” Menolascino said. “I met the most diverse group of best friends when I went Greek.”

Menolascino advises women to ask questions, be themselves and “follow their hearts” during recruitment.

“NIU women should go Greek because it is a great opportunity to become involved right from the beginning of their college career,” McNamee said. “If a woman going through recruitment is not a first year student, there is still an advantage to going Greek at any time in woman’s college experience, because it gives people an opportunity and a network to meet many interesting and unique individuals.”