Bridge construction changes bus routes and diverts students

By Jami Knowles

DeKALB | The heat is not the only thing NIU students have to contend with this summer.

Parts of College Avenue will be closed for repairs for the semester. For the first time in nearly forty years, the street will receive new lighting, asphalt, and sidewalks.

The road normally allows access to the Music and Art buildings for many who live west of campus. Due to the construction, the bridge directly behind the buildings is inaccessible.

“I have had to add an extra ten minutes onto my trip just to get to class on time,” said junior art major Chad Tuymer.

The projected deadline for the reconstruction is Aug. 15. The street is closed from Castle Drive east until Woodley Road until that time.

The road closing has also disrupted the regular routes of the Huskie Line.

“During the summer semester the buses run a 7-7-7 route,” said Huskie Line General Manager, Al Davis. “This means the buses run from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m., seven days a week.”

The weekend circle right and the weekend circle left routes are disrupted by the construction.

“The buses will now run down Normal road since it usually goes down Castle road,” said NIU Director of Mass Transit, Brent Keller.

Keller does not expect there to be confusion due to the change in route since the pick up area is still at the Holmes Student Center.