Watch out for nutty squirrels on campus

By Rebecca Freitag

DeKALB | The squirrels on campus are a lot like the students: usually entertaining and always looking for a free meal.

As a major part of campus, it is hard to miss the erratic behavior of most squirrels and how unafraid they are of the student population.

Peter Meserve, a biology professor who specializes in mammology, said the reason squirrels are so friendly on campus is because the most common species in our area, the fox squirrel, is native to park or city areas.

“The species is active all year long and because they live in parks and city areas, they are fed often,” Meserve said.

Although it is odd, it’s not uncommon for someone to have a close encounter with a campus squirrel.

Some students, such as Ryan Olsen, sophomore history major, have unfinished business with their furry foes. Walking to class on a snowy day, Olsen said he was on a clear, shoveled patch of sidewalk when a squirrel approached him from the opposite direction.

“As I walked closer, I was afraid of what could possibly happen between the squirrel and me, but we both walked right, then adjusted to the left and eventually the squirrel scampered to the right,” Olsen said.

About two weeks ago, Laura Turner, a sophomore journalism major, was walking through the Stevenson parking lot in the early morning when she noticed the chattering of a squirrel in the trees above.

“I heard one making noise in a tree and, all of a sudden, another squirrel jumped out of a nearby garbage can, flying at the other one,” Turner said.

The two squirrels then quarreled in the tree, leaving Turner startled and confused.

Squirrels are not only vengeful toward each other and intimidating to students; they can also be resourceful, something Bob Negele, sophomore political science major, learned.

A squirrel approached the window of Negele’s friend and they began to feed it crackers. When the squirrel started biting through the screen, Negele and his friends decided to take their crackers outside.

“When we were outside feeding the squirrel crackers, it let us pet it, and about the second time, it ran away behind the tree.” Negele said.

Negele and his friends followed the squirrel to the tree and found a stash of acorns and a television remote control.

If students and visitors alike are treating the squirrels well by feeding them and being friendly, the squirrels will not be too afraid to come near, like in other areas, Meserve said.