Park district to offer class to train aerobic teachers

By Maria Tortorello

Through the DeKalb Park District, students will be able to see if they have what it takes to teach a fitness class.

Since there is a shortage of well-trained aerobics instructors in the DeKalb area, the park district will be offering an aerobics instructor training workshop from 1 to 5 p.m., Oct. 30 and 31 at Hopkins Park, 1403 Sycamore Rd.

The cost of the workshop is $40, which includes the instruction for the two days, handouts, refreshments and a music sampler.

The workshop includes instruction on such things as designing a workout for low-impact, high-impact and step aerobics, choosing music for workouts and safety factors.

Participants will be able to receive CPR certification Nov. 6 and 13 also at Hopkins Park.

After completing the workshop and receiving CPR certification, all participants will receive a certificate of completion.

“The certificate of completion helps a lot when an instructor goes to get a job,” said Suzanne Wielgos, fitness coordinator for the DeKalb Park District and workshop presenter.

In the past, NIU students who have attended the workshop have received jobs, Wielgos said.

“Students from NIU definitely have found jobs,” she said.

Wielgos said park districts are always looking for substitute instructors.

Wielgos is trying to persuade NIU students to attend the workshop.

“I would really encourage students from NIU to attend,” Wielgos said. “I’ve talked with a lot of student athletes from Northern who just need a little help getting started.”

Wielgos also mentioned jobs for aerobics instructors are ideal for college students.

“Teaching aerobics is a great part-time job for students who need flexible hours and good pay,” she said.

Wielgos is certified by the American College of Exercise and has taught fitness at Loyola University, Wheaton College and Edward Hospital Fitness Center in Naperville.