Come and SPEAK OUT NIU!!

The week of Oct. 25-29 is SPEAK OUT! WEEK, the second annual Student Association Campus Crime Prevention Week. This year’s programs focus on Prejudices We Harbor and Violence Against Women.

The events are as follows: Monday through Friday there will be a wreath in the King Memorial Commons from 9:00 a.m.-4:30 p.m. There will be black and purple ribbons made available for students to tie to the wreath if they have experienced sexual assault or prejudice, or if they know someone who has, or are in the support of people who have. The ribbons will be made available at a table setup by the wreath. In case of rain the wreath will be located in the Holmes Student Center, between the Blackhawk and Center Cafe.

Monday, at 6 p.m., there will be an open forum on Confronting Our Prejudices in the Heritage Room of the student center.

On Wednesday at 7 p.m., Take Back Your Voice, a program about Sexual Assault, with a question and answer session and self-defense demo will take place in the Rec Center, on Court *3. PLEASE NOTE THE LOCATION IS NOW THE REC CENTER, NOT THE HSC, AS STATED ON THE FLYERS.

On Thursday and Friday there will be a legislative call-in to Congressman Hastert’s office for those who support legislation concerning Violence Against Women and Safe Campuses For Women. This program will take place between 11 a.m. and 2 p.m. each day where the wreath is located. This program is brought to you free of cost by a Northern Illinois Cellular Phone Company, through the efforts of the SA SPEAC Advisor Maura Jandris.

On Friday there will be a SPEAK OUT! RALLY, in the MLK Commons, from noon to 1 p.m., rain location is the Sandburg Auditorium. There will be various speakers and an open mike. I invite everyone to come to all of these programs; they are open to all students, faculty, and staff. If you have any questions please feel free to call the Student Association Office at 753-0482. Thank you and I hope to see you there.