Delta Gamma hosts annual Service for Sight benefit

By Erin Wilson

DeKALB | It is Greek Row tradition to participate in Delta Gamma’s annual Anchor Splash.

Swimming events for the 26th annual event will take place at 1 p.m. Saturday in the Anderson Hall pool. At 6 p.m. Sunday, the lip sync contest and Mr. and Mrs. Anchor Splash will be held in the Duke Ellington Ballroom of the Holmes Student Center. The cost is $3 for both events.

“Not only do we have most of Greek Row sign up for Anchor Splash and stay involved the entire time, but we open Anchor Splash up to the rest of the NIU community to participate and watch. I think we always have a great turnout, and most people dub Anchor Splash ‘Homecoming – Second Semester,'” said Tiffany Mohler, president of Delta Gamma.

Money raised through Anchor Splash will benefit Delta Gamma’s charity, Service for Sight, a foundation that aids the blind.

“We hope to raise at least, if not more than, $3000,” said Meghan Borczak, a junior and Delta Gamma philanthropy chairman.

“Most Beautiful Eyes” penny voting is taking place throughout the week in Cole Hall and the Holmes Student Center by Blackhawk Food Court. Students can use pocket change to vote for team member’s eyes they like, and can sabotage other teams by voting with dollars. Voting ends today at 3 p.m.

At 7 p.m. today, chapters with decorated houses will be judged.

Teams consist of at least eight people: Four members of a sorority and four members of a fraternity. Teams must participate in both swimming events, as well as the lip sync contest, to be eligible for an all-around trophy.

“The synchronized swimming competition is hilarious. The boys for each team usually wear costumes and use props to entertain everyone,” Mohler said.

House points are distributed to teams for the swimming events, house decorating, water ballet, lip sync competition, Mr. and Mrs. Anchor Splash, team spirit and “Most Beautiful Eyes.”

A panel of five Delta Gamma judges will decide the winning teams of each event based on talent, originality, lip-syncing ability and overall appearance. The overall winners will be announced and receive trophies on Sunday, Borczak said.