DeKalb alderman candidates lined up

The DeKalb consolidated election is on April 17. Seats for the 1st, 3rd, 5th and 7th wards are open this year.

DeKalb city clerk Donna Johnson said Scott Skarzynski is no longer running for the 1st ward, but it is too late to take his name off the ballot. In his place, NIU student Jackie Roache has entered the race as a write-in candidate.

The only other contested race is in the 3rd Ward.

Incumbent 3rd Ward alderman is facing Melinda Kay Shelton and Victor Wogen.

The 2007 DeKalb Candidates and Referendum Night will be at 6 p.m. Wednesday at the Egyptian Theatre. The event will give residents a chance to meet the candidates and ask them questions.

The Northern Star spoke with each candidate and found out what they had to offer.

1st Ward

Bertrand J. Simpson Jr., 2570 Soros Court, has lived in DeKalb for 20 years and says running for city government is a natural outgrowth of being a concerned citizen.

Simpson is the director of admissions and financial aid for the NIU College of Law. He has taught business law and political science since 1990, and has advised various university groups including the Student Association and Campus Activities Board.

One of his main goals would be to increase relations between the university and the city. He said most people involved with the university don’t know how the city works. He said he could function as a bridge between the city and the university.

1st Ward

Jackie Roache, a political science major, said she would be a voice for students.

“As a student resident, I’m able to see both sides of the issue. I’m excited to be a voice for the residents,” Roache said. “I’m young, I’m fresh, and it would be a great experience.”

As an alderman, she said she would try to lower student housing costs, improve living conditions for students and increase the quality of living for all.

“I’ve been passing out flyers, I’m promoting my campaign on Facebook and I have a Web site. I’ve also been going door to door to talk to residents about the campaign. I’ve gone to Greek Row to speak with the Greeks, and other various student organizations such as NAACP and Ebony Women.”

If she wins, she would be the first black woman to serve as alderman.

“It’s really exciting, and the chance of making history drives me everyday,” Roache said.

3rd Ward

Steve Kapitan, 1228 Sycamore Road, is running for re-election as 3rd Ward alderman.

Kapitan has served three terms and hopes to keep representing his ward on the city council.

“Basically, I want to continue my effort to speak out for the existing community,” Kapitan said.

Kapitan said DeKalb’s continuing residential growth will put a strain on city finances. Even as new residents bring with them additional tax dollars to the city, contributions will not balance out to fund building new schools or expanding existing ones.

“Then you end up taking out bonds that the city has to pay back,” he said.

Kapitan said he fought to implement impact fees and increase them over time. He said his main concern is continuing to represent existing taxpayers of DeKalb who will have to foot the bill through higher taxes if growth gets out of hand.

3rd Ward

Victor Wogen, 729 N. 11th St., said with his experience as a blue collar worker, he can identify with everyone, from the guy getting his hands dirty to the guy making sales.

Wogen said he has lived in DeKalb for 35 of his 37 years. Coaching for the park district, he said he has come to know many of the people in his ward. He said people in his ward have asked him to run for two years.

“I think it’s time for a change. People are starting to feel like Kapitan has his own agenda,” Wogen said. “They are ready for a change.”

He said right now people are thinking DeKalb is “good enough.” Wogen said he wants DeKalb to be known as a great place to raise a family. As an alderman he said we would work with the schools to make sure they get the funding they need.

3rd Ward

Melinda Kay Shelton, 1006 North 15th Street, said there are numerous ways to improve the city including a focus on crime reduction and neighborhood watch programs. She said her experience as an educator at Kishwaukee College will help her as a representative.

Shelton is interested in the preservation and rehabilitation of older buildings, an area where she has some experience.

“I rehabbed my own home,” Shelton said.

Community involvement has been her focus during her campaign and has tried to reach out through open letters and public meetings. Her action plan was developed through conversations with fellow DeKalb residents. Shelton is a part-time graduate student and works in NIU’s Founders Memorial Library.

5th Ward

Ronald Naylor said he will focus on funding city services. As a former city engineer for 24 years and public works director in DeKalb he said he has the experience.

Naylor said his time with the city will help him as an alderman. He also said his relationship with the DeKalb School District will benefit him while serving on the city council.

He is promoting what he calls “good growth” which entails not raising taxes and making sure city services can keep up with rising numbers of residential households.

He also wants to encourage rehabilitation of older buildings and said he will work to fund these projects with city assistance.

Naylor also said he wants to preserve and promote park areas in DeKalb.

7th Ward

Brent Keller, a NIU student and SA director of mass transit hopes to mobilize the students as alderman.

He has experience as an intern at the Lake County Republican Party, campaign assistant for Peter Fitzgerald, technical committee of the DeKalb-Sycamore Area Transportation Study (DSATS), chairman of the college republicans, director of mass transit for the Student Association.

“I’ve felt politics has always been a calling for me, and I thought it would be a good way to affect positive change.”

If elected he plans on promoting small growth, infrastructure renewal, Annie Glidden safety and the revitalization of downtown DeKalb.

“My campaign is entirely run by students,” Keller said.

He said he wants to reach out to various groups on campus and make it as democratic as possible.