What’s in a title?

By Erin Wilson

Students see a rainbow of different professorial titles when they first see their syllabi on the first day of class.

Though they may not seem important to some, professors see the titles as a reflection of an individual’s position within an institution.

In the world of academe, titles indicate experience and qualification.

For students, understanding the meaning of the initials following their educators’ names – Dr., for example – requires careful consideration. Students should also educate themselves in the difference between a teaching assistant (TA), an instructor and a professor.

Teaching assistants

Teaching assistants grade tests and papers, and more importantly, provide students with individual attention in courses with a high number of students. A TA is usually a graduate student looking to earn a doctorate or master’s degree.

“These graduate students teach introductory courses, run lab sections and participate in a number of other duties associated with instruction,” said Christine Sorensen, dean of the NIU College of Education.

Instructors

The designation of instructor varies from institution. Some may only work part time.

“Instructors may have a doctoral degree, but in general, they hold a master’s degree,” said Jon Carnahan, professor and chair in the chemistry and biochemistry department. “Instructors are on tenure-track faculty, and therefore do not permanently hold their positions.”

Instructors teach courses and supervise clinical experiences.

Tenure-track professors

Tenure-track faculty affiliates are responsible for research and department service. Faculty members are often published and therefore recognized by universities as scholars. Typically, tenure-track faculty members conduct independent research or work with a research team, graduate students or hired staff-research members.

“Professors are of three levels: assistant, associate and full,” Sorensen said. “Professors have doctoral or terminal degrees in their fields and have responsibilities in the academy for teaching, research and service.”

Tenure-track faculty members do work to make sure there’s a balance between teaching and conducting research.