Putting the fun in running

By Michael Van Der Harst

Running is probably the last thing on an NIU student’s mind when heading into finals week at the end of a semester. But for Amanda Kromphardt, it is the perfect time to run 13 miles.

Kromphardt is a senior meteorology major, as well as president and founder of the NIU Striders. She and other members of the group plan to compete in a half-marathon during the last weekend before finals. In their fourth year, the NIU Striders are the only running club on campus.

Kromphardt talked with the Northern Star on what running for fun is all about.

Northern Star: How did the NIU Striders start?

Amanda Kromphardt: I was on the cross-country team here my freshman year, but it ended up taking too much of my time. I quit the team and started this club a month later.

NS: Were you surprised there was not a club previously?

AK: Yeah, especially because there is not a men’s cross-country or track-and-field team at this school.

NS: How many active members are a part of NIU Striders now?

AK: In the fall we had 15-20 people come on a regular basis. Right now, due to the cold weather, we have 5-7 each running day.

NS: What is your favorite course to run?

AK: We run down by the Frisbee-golf course. We can make that and the rest of our courses longer or shorter depending on the individual’s skill level. We make it so each running group finished at around the same time.

NS: What have been some of the Striders’ past events?

AK: Last fall, we went to four road races, along with doing a Bar Crawl. We ended up running to eight bars down Lincoln Highway, which ended up being a four-mile run.

NS: Do the Striders have any upcoming events?

AK: We are training for the half-marathon, which will be in St. Charles on Sunday, May 6. While training for this, we are running a longer distance on Sundays. We are also putting on a membership fun run and barbecue this spring to try and encourage more people to come out.

NS: How often do you run during a week?

AK: I take Mondays and Fridays off and run by myself a few other days of the week. It is nice to get the whole spectrum of running with a group and then running by yourself.

NS: What is your ideal running weather?

AK: I like it at 50 degrees, cloudy and lightly sprinkling with no wind.

NS: Why the sprinkling?

AK: It keeps you cool and running in the rain makes it more refreshing.

NS: What other activities are you involved with on campus?

AK: I am the president of the American Meteorological Society at NIU and am involved in Lutheran Campus Ministry.

NS: How would an NIU student go about joining the NIU Striders?

AK: Just show up at the Rec on Tuesdays and Thursdays at 5 p.m. We run outside unless it is too cold. We have about eight different courses throughout the campus that we run. I encourage anyone who likes to run to come out. We love new people.