Life without Bruce ‘Graduated’-kowski

By Sean Connor

DeKALB | Quarterback Bruce Gradkowski and the Toledo Rockets are coming off a GMAC Bowl championship last season and …

Hold on, Gradkowski is the starting quarterback for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers? That would mean he graduated, right?

But Toledo had the No. 13 rushing offense and No. 10 scoring offense in the country last fall. Its MAC-leading offense averaged 447.1 yards and 35.8 points per game in 2005.

Gradkowski was a three-year starter for the Rockets, holds 19 school records and three MAC marks. He threw for 2,171 yards and 24 touchdowns last season while leading the Rockets to an 8-3 record.

How is Toledo going to replace all that?

Well, it hasn’t exactly been a smooth transition, so to speak.

Current Toledo quarterback and true freshman Aaron Opelt didn’t even make Toledo coach Tom Amstutz’s three-deep preseason roster.

Sophomore Clint Cochran began the season as Toledo’s starter. But after losing two games and leading the Rockets to their first win of the season against Kansas, redshirt freshman Brandon Summers came in.

Summers beat McNeese State in his first start before losing 45-3 at Pittsburgh the following week.

Opelt has since taken over and is listed No. 1 on Toledo’s depth chart for today’s game despite going 1-3 since taking over the helm.

The rookie has thrown for 777 yards, five touchdowns and four interceptions. He’s also rushed for a score.

Opelt’s first win came against Akron, in Toledo’s most recent game, but he only threw 16 passes for eight completions and 97 yards.

“At this point in the season he’s not just a freshman anymore,” NIU coach Joe Novak said.

True coach. He’s a freshman with one win in four starts.