All Dutch

By Sean Connor

They call him “Dutch.”

He’s a physical kid; a tough sucker. Although not tall, a smart player.

But underneath the pitch-black helmet and blood-red jersey, senior safety Dustin Utschig is a little less tough than NIU football coach Joe Novak makes him out to be.

“I like being peaceful and out on the water,” Utschig said. “Golfing and fishing are two things I want to do the rest of my life.”

So where does the senior get his edge to play Division I football?

For starters, check out the rivers and lakes in Winneconne, Wis.

“We have a house on a lake and I love jet skiing, going out on boats and hanging with my boys,” Utschig said.

Born in Appleton, Wis., Utschig moved to Winneconne in fourth grade.

However, he followed his older brother T.J. back to Fox Valley Lutheran High School in Appleton.

“We drove 30 minutes everyday from Winneconne to Appleton,” Utschig said. “My brother was the star running back as a senior when I was a sophomore.”

And Utschig made sure the family name would not be forgotten.

As a senior, Dustin rushed for 33 touchdowns. He ended his high school career with 4,792 rushing yards and 74 touchdowns.

But being recruited by NIU in the same class as running back Garrett Wolfe and former Huskie rushers A.J. Harris and Adrian “Train” Davis forced a change in position.

“We projected him, which we have to do a lot, as a defensive back,” Novak said. “We eventually wanted him to play safety.”

Utschig spent his first two seasons taking notes from former NIU safeties Akil Grant, Lionel Hickenbottom and Ray Smith.

The 5-foot-10, 196-pounder made his first noise in a Huskie uniform on special teams by blocking a punt in NIU’s 2004 Silicon Valley Classic bowl game victory. It came in the second quarter, leading to an NIU field goal and a 17-14 lead.

And since the start of 2005, Utschig has been a mainstay in NIU’s secondary.

His highlight game came against Toledo last fall. Two interceptions, where one led to a 21-14 lead by NIU, aided the Huskies in their first win over Toledo in 16 years.

Off the field, Utschig lives with teammates Jon Brost, Doug Free, Matt Simon, Tim McCarthy and Craig Rusch. All are from Minnesota and Wisconsin, which led to them nicknaming their house “Wisota.”

“It’s a certain way of thinking we have,” Utschig said. “It’s a train of thought. We all like the outdoors and grill out almost every day.

“We probably eat as well as anybody on campus. Our moms stock our freezer with meat. There’s probably a couple of cows in there.”

But with only two guaranteed games remaining in his senior year, the time Utschig has in Wisota is drawing nigh.

“It’s so strange the fact that early on this year the offense bailed out the defense,” Utschig said. “It’s the fact of putting everything together so the offense and defense are clicking. This year’s been a roller coaster ride. But I can’t tell you how much fun I’m still having.”

And who doesn’t enjoy a roller coaster ride? Even if it gets a little scary.