On the paper …

“I think that The Northern Star is doing a great job, from cover page to sports page. This is much better than last year and much better than two years ago. Lyons and Barrington I love your work. Luckily Krol is gone, but where in the world is Plonka? By the way everybody should always appreciate this paper. Take a good look at what they have here. Especially for those who are even considering about a refund. If I were you I would think again. Definitely no questions asked it is worth reading the Star.”

“I want to know why my horoscope was not in the paper today [Fri. 8]. I’m really upset!!”

On cartoons …

“Capital Capers is excellent. Calvin and Hobbes and Far Side and Capital Capers are the only cartoons worth reading.”

On resident halls…

“In regards to the resident hall quite hours. What is the use having quite hours in the dorms when people can stand outside in front of the dorms and make as much noise as they really want to? Question to consider for the week, or the year.”

On parking…

“I just want to say I can’t figure out how a faculty member could say that graduate assistants have superior parking privileges. I’m a grad assistant and I would like him to tell me where all these superior parking places are. I have yet to find them.”

On columns…

“I like to know why it is considered protected speech for a resident student to be able to put up a sign that says, “all fags must die” in their window but the LGBC can’t use the terms fag and dyke in their own advertising?”

“In response to Stacy Christiansen’s student opinion. I quote David Bowie, ‘and these children that you stood upon are quite aware of what they’re going through.’ and the Who, ‘talking about my generation.'”

“This is in response to Markos Moulitsas’ column. Maybe if you weren’t so ignorant and you had a clue about what the Bible really means you’d know what to say about it. It’s only through ignorance you said what you said and I feel bad for you. Maybe one of these days you should sit down and read the Bible. Maybe you’ll actually learn something.”

On NIU Speaks…

“In response to Fri. 8 NIU Speaks on weekender. Women and African-Americans are not just looking for handouts. But merely the respect and equitable opportunities that have been afforded American men of European descent since the exploitation of the indigenous land now called the United States of America. In almost all battles reparations have been made. Where is the payment for social, racial and gender inequality? Do not weep about giving when you know nothing about the giving of life or freedom and equality.”

On construction…

“I have a solution to all this DeKalb road construction. Why don’t we just board up DeKalb and be rid of it?”

On multiculturalism…

“I think the best evidence that we need a multiculturalism class are the responses in Friday’s [Oct.8] Northern Star. Anybody who’s against multiculturalism is obviously racist and ignorant.”

“Regarding this multiculturalism class. What about the culturalism of white people? We are probably more diverse than any other group.”

“All the people who commented last Friday [Oct. 8] that a multicultural class is unnecessary are the very people who need to take it.”—Wendy Waller

“On the multiculturalism class. They said that there is not enough votes with only 400, a small percentage. That still gives you a margin of error of less than 5 percent so the lowest it could be is 70 percent.”

“The poll results on the mandatory multicultural class are really disturbing. People seem to think that the class would be a waste of time because it does not apply towards the future. Well I have news for them. The future will be very multicultural. According to the census bureau over half the US population will be minorities by the year 2050.”

On NIU football…

“I think LeShon Johnson is a great running back but to help the team maybe we should try him at linebacker or something because our defense is terrible.”

Miscellaneous …

“Don’t it bother you that the number one show watched among young America is a pair of incoherent metal heads laughing at things that suck?”

“Does anyone else watch channel 8 news on TV-8? If you don’t it’s the best comedy around. You don’t get anymore mess-ups than that one.”

“I’d like to know who died and made Mickie Emmet the chief censor of this outfit? Evidently she’s never heard of the First Amendment. She has no right whatsoever to censor any speech under any circumstances as long as free speech is allowed on this campus. So maybe she should wait until she gets elected to the supreme court.”

“I feel hurt and betrayed that Michael Jordan retired. But I hope that he finds what he’s looking for and I hope that he accomplishes more thing and gets more goals. But as a Chicago Bulls fan I’m really pissed off.”

“This is about smoking in the buildings of NIU. It is really bad and getting worse, especially the Student Center. At lunch time the place is polluted; it’s unhealthy and it’s so unfair because I have asthma and it’s so bad for me I can’t go in there. It smells pretty bad and I think the administration should do something about it. Or maybe wait until someone dies and sues the University.”

“I just want to say that I think Barney is the anti-Christ.”

Readers can leave their editorial messages by calling 753-STAR. A recorded message will answer and give the caller 30 seconds to speak his/her mind.