Wolfe, NIU must avoid trap on ESPN

By Sean Connor

DeKALB | Now is Garrett Wolfe’s time to put to rest all the doubters.

At 7 p.m. Sunday on ESPN, NIU’s running back will be exposed to the United States for the first time as the Huskies (3-2 overall, 2-1 MAC) play at Miami-Ohio.

“Good for Garrett,” NIU football coach Joe Novak said. “I love Saturday college football.But playing on other days, that’s a college football fan’s chance to see you really play.”

But can you say Ball State of 2005 all over again?

Miami has stumbled to an 0-5 overall mark, and 0-1 MAC record after being picked by some publications to win the MAC East.

Novak and quarterback Phil Horvath said Miami is young, but shouldn’t be underestimated.

Last fall NIU was 3-1 in the MAC and on a three-game win streak when it hosted a 1-6 BSU team.

BSU also had the nation’s 117th ranked rushing defense, but defeated NIU 31-17.

This fall, Miami comes in having started two quarterbacks. Junior Mike Kokal leads the MAC with 246 yards per game of total offense, but has since given way to redshirt freshman Daniel Raudabaugh.

The Redhawks also possess the MAC’s leading receiver in Ryne Robinson. The senior has 37 catches, 490 yards and four scores.

Miami’s pass-first offense will be going against a depleted NIU secondary. The Huskies have already lost senior cornerback Alvah Hansbro for the season. And the return of junior safety Mark Reiter from a back injury was met with the loss of sophomore safety Bradley Pruitt, who suffered a bruised lung against BSU Saturday.

But with NIU’s Horvath going 20 of 27 with 252 yards and two touchdowns last week, the Huskies offense seems to be hitting on all cylinders.

That was until NIU received news that senior tight end Jake Nordin’s college career was over after breaking his left fibula against BSU. He’ll be replaced by tight ends David Koronkiewicz and Brandon Davis.

“He’s not an easy guy to replace,” Horvath said. “He’s up there with the best tight ends to ever play here. Now it’s David and Davis’ time to show people what they got.”

The Huskies will get 6-foot-5, 280-pound defensive tackle Adam Schroeder back. Novak said Schroeder practiced Wednesday and seemed ready to go.

Also, NIU’s offensive line saw a change last week as freshman Jason Onyebuagu started at right guard for the first time despite seeing some playing time this season.

“He’s the most advanced freshman lineman I’ve seen in a long time,” Novak said.

Lucky for Onyebuagu, he has the opportunity to block for the nation’s leading rusher in Wolfe.

“There are plays that are blocked okay, and Garrett makes a move other players can’t make,” Novak said. “If they line up nine people in the box, it’d be tough for Edgerrin James to run for 200 yards. Every week I become more impressed by what Garrett can do.”

Sean Connor is an NIU football beat reporter for the Northern Star.