Hole in the line; DE Rusch sidelined

By Sean Connor

DeKALB | Sophomore defensive end Craig Rusch was named Third-Team Freshman All-America by CollegeFootballNews.com last fall, but hasn’t seen the field in 2006.

On Aug. 28 Rusch was stepped on in practice. The wound he received on his right leg eventually became infected. NIU football coach Joe Novak said he is unsure when Rusch will be able to return.

The Hilbert, Wisc. native led NIU with six sacks last season while only starting four games and playing in seven.

Heisman hype

With his 171-yard rushing and 114-yard receiving performance against Ohio State Saturday, NIU running back Garrett Wolfe’s name continued to stay afloat amongst Heisman Trophy talks.

ESPN.com’s expert poll had Wolfe in its No. 8 slot as of Tuesday. The Holy Cross high school product received one fourth place vote after the past weekend’s games.

The same Web site projects Wolfe to rush for 2,052 yards this season.

Also, CBSsportsline.com and its panel of Heisman hopeful analysts said, “If there was ever a running back from a small-time conference that had a chance to win the Heisman, it’s Garrett Wolfe.”

More bumps and bruises

Novak said sophomore offensive tackle Jon Brost and junior defensive tackle Adam Schroeder suffered minor ankle injuries against Ohio State, but expects them to be ready for Ohio on Saturday.

Also, Novak said sophomore wide receiver Marcus Perez was dinged up at OSU, but should also be ready for Ohio.

Open tryouts?

On Tuesday, Novak noted that the left guard and weak side linebacking positions would be reevaluated in practice this week.

Junior Chris Acevedo started at guard while red-shirt freshman Kevin Skatrud also saw time at the position. However, Novak also said true freshman Jason Onyebuagu will get a look at the left guard spot as well.

On the other side of the ball, Sophomore Josh Allen started at the weak side linebacking spot at OSU, and redshirt freshman David Bryant is second on the depth chart. However, Novak stated that true freshman John Tranchitella would also be given a chance to work out at the position this week.

When was that again?

The last time Ohio was in DeKalb, NIU won 30-23 in overtime.

Former wide receiver and current Ohio State graduate assistant P.J. Fleck caught a 15-yard touchdown pass from quarterback Josh Haldi to tie the game with 1:42 left in regulation. Fleck then caught a 23-yard pass on the two-yard line in overtime before Haldi scored the game winning touchdown.