Maturity time for the NIU defense

By Sean Connor

Defensive line

Quad-captain and fifth-year senior defensive end Ken West told NIU coach Joe Novak that he’d do his best to get 15 sacks this season.

West and sophomore Larry English are the bookends of a line that includes two 6-foot-5 and 280-plus pound defensive tackles in juniors Adam Schroeder and Zach Holycross.

A three-year starter, West recorded eight sacks as a sophomore, but only three last fall. Meanwhile, Larry English started nine of 11 games in 2005.

The Huskies will also receive help from sophomore Craig Rusch, who will move from defensive end to tackle. Rusch led the team with five sacks as a freshman, but missed the Ohio State game with an infection in his right leg after being stepped on in practice Aug. 28.

Linebackers

There is no doubt NIU’s linebacking corps is led by sophomore Tim McCarthy. Named First-Team Freshman All-America by the Football Writers Association of America-Scripps last fall, McCarthy recorded 101 tackles for NIU after red-shirting in 2004.

McCarthy is flanked by senior Keenan Blalark and sophomore Josh Allen in NIU’s 4-3 attack defense.

But after NIU’s game against OSU, Novak said he’d reevaluate the other linebacking spot in practice. Redshirt freshman David Bryant is listed behind Allen on the depth chart, but Novak said true freshman John Tranchitella will get a chance to prove himself in practice.

Secondary

Senior safety Dustin Utschig kept this group’s head above water after their key mistake in NIU’s last-second MAC title game loss last season.

Utschig led NIU with 121 tackles and three interceptions a year ago.

However, the defense lost its father figure in graduated senior safety Ray Smith. Replacing Smith is junior Mark Reiter.

Closer to the line of scrimmage are the infamous Hansbro twins at cornerback. Alvah and Adriel Hansbro will start at opposite corner spots for the second straight year. The two combined for as many picks as Utschig in 2005, but the depth of the secondary leaves much to be proven.

Sean Connor is an NIU football beat reporter for the Northern Star.