Group rallies against cancer

By Erin Wilson

DeKALB | NIU’s Colleges Against Cancer chapter will hold a Relay For Life informational meeting tonight at 9 p.m. in DuSable Hall, Room 206.

“The CAC will talk about the Relay, explain where the money goes and answer any questions about the event that come up,” said Matt DeLance, a senior communication major, president of the CAC chapter and Relay for Life chairperson.

The CAC was formed six years ago to further cancer advocacy, cancer education, early prevention and a smoke-free DeKalb. The CAC also annually hosts Relay For Life in the Campus Recreation Center in April.

Relay For Life is a theme-oriented fundraising event that benefits the American Cancer Society.

“Teams of eight to 15 form together, raise money in advance and then walk the track from 6 p.m. to 6 a.m. at the event,” DeLance said.

This year, the theme is “Re-lei for Life.” On April 13 and 14, teams will promote the Hawaiian theme by decorating their campsites and designing team T-shirts.

Last year’s goal was to raise $45,000 and the event brought in well over $70,000. This year’s goal is $100,000.

Bands and disc jockeys will perform all night, while others participate in a variety of games. The CAC also is working on getting a hypnotist.

Last year, over 1,100 students participated in Relay For Life and the CAC is hoping to involve over 1,500 students this year.

For more information and registration, go to www.acsevents.org/relay/il/niu.edu.

Erin Wilson is a Campus Reporter for the Northern Star.