Basketball tourney on Sat.

By Jermaine Pigee

DeKALB | If you’re looking for something to do this weekend with football out of town, the Black Male Initiative is holding a basketball tournament.

The BMI is holding their second annual “Back to the Streets” basketball tournament Saturday at the Stevenson South basketball courts. It starts at noon and lasts until the tournament is done.

Besides basketball, there will be a dunk contest, live disc jockeys and other musical acts performing, including the Annihalation dance troop. The radio station WGCI will also be here from Chicago. Food will be available for purchase, donated by Kenny’s Ribs and Chicken.

“This tournament is a BMI scholarship fundraiser,” said Don Bramlett, director of the office of retention programs. “It helps students who are doing well in school and it will recognize their efforts.”

“A purpose of this tournament is to get African-Americans involved and have fun,” said Greg Henderson, a senior electrical engineering major. “Last year, it was a great turnout and it was very energetic.”

Coming out to these types of tournaments will encourage students to meet new people.

“The tournament is a good way for students to mingle,” said Jarvis Purnell, a senior industrial technology major. “It’s a good way for students to come together.”

The tournament will bring together other organizations on campus since other organizations support each other, Purnell said.

It is also worth noting that the tournament isn’t only for men.

“Women can come out too,” he said. “They can come out and build relationships just like the guys can.”

The weather forecast is calling for rain Saturday. If it does rain, the new location will be in the Anderson Hall gymnasium at the already-scheduled time.

“I hope the weather forecast is wrong just like it always is,” Bramlett said.

Jermaine Pigee is a diversity beat reporter for the Northern Star.