Hansbro lost for season

By Sean Connor

DeKALB | NIU football’s fifth-year senior cornerback Alvah Hansbro is out for the season after tearing a tendon in his arm against Ohio.

Coach Joe Novak said Hansbro can’t apply for a medical redshirt due to NCAA regulations.

The Madison, Wis. native will be operated on this week and return to the team as a student assistant, Novak said.

Sophomore Melvin Rice is slated to take over for No. 11 at corner.

The 5-foot-10 Rice, NIU’s top recruit according to Rivals.com in 2005, played in 12 games last season while recording 15 tackles.

In Hansbro, NIU is losing a second-year starter who finished second on the team with two interceptions last fall. He also finished sixth on the team with 68 tackles and had 15 this season.

The senior is most well known for the fact that he is one of a pair of Hansbros on the team. Twin brother Adriel starts at the opposite corner position on defense.

However, NIU’s defensive line has been hit even harder by the injury bug this season.

On Aug. 28, sophomore defensive tackle Craig Rusch had his right leg stepped on in practice. The leg became infected and has caused Rusch to miss the first two games.

“He might be out one or two more weeks with the infection,” Novak said.

Rusch, who will play end and tackle this season, led the Huskies with six sacks as a freshman last fall despite starting only seven of 12 games.

“Craig Rusch will be a big part of our game plan,” NIU senior safety Dustin Utschig said. “It will really help when we get him back.”

NIU had already lost its No. 2 sack-master in graduated senior Quince Holman. The former defensive tackle had five sacks and 55 tackles in 2005.

Aside from Rusch, the Huskies have also lost their two 6-foot-5, 280-plus pound junior defensive tackles.

Zack Holycross broke his hand in NIU’s loss to Ohio State while Adam Schroeder is questionable for Buffalo after acquiring a high ankle sprain against OSU, Novak said.

The two combined for 24 tackles and two sacks last season.

Novak said Holycross practiced with a cast Tuesday and may play against Buffalo Saturday.

Senior Brad Benson and sophomore Alex Krutsch replaced the duo against Ohio. Benson had two tackles against OSU and Ohio.

Sean Connor is an NIU football beat reporter for the Northern Star.